Galway Technology Centre/Academy West
– CEO and Director of Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation –
GTC is a growth facility for technology and digital enterprises in the West Region. One of Ireland’s largest technology enterprise centres, GTC is currently home to 41 companies, with a workforce of 320 high skilled and dynamic people. GTC is a post start-up greenhouse for HPSU’s, micro’s and dynamic SME’s in the knowledge economy to develop and grow. We are a commercially focused, successful social enterprise, established in 1994 by the Digital Task Force to encourage the development of technology-based industry in the West of Ireland.
GTC is jointly owned by Galway Chamber and WestBIC and its overriding purpose and mission is to support regional job creation in the technology and knowledge-based sectors, consistent with both of their Mission Statements and Constitutions “with the purpose of encouraging and supporting the development of an indigenous technology-based industry in the region”.
GTC has recently been awarded funding under the REDF (Regional European Development Fund), to establish ‘Academy West’. ‘Academy West’ will represent a physical expansion of the Mervue Centre, plus a strategic expansion of the Centre to incorporate a more diverse and specialised set of supports including regional outreach & collaboration, hands-on business growth mentoring, and global entrepreneurship programmes . This growth model will reflect best practice in enterprise management, providing a Regional Leadership role and create the environment for dynamic growth in the tech sector, for the benefit of the entire Region. The approved funding will enable us to add additional workspace (Academy West) that will facilitate greater capacity, and also provide the flexibility of space to match a range of client needs, including shared facilities. The expanded Hub of Academy West/GTC will connect research centres, universities, Local, Regional, & National Government agencies, EU Agencies, Industry players and Associations, Experts, Innovators Start-ups/Scaling and Funders. The ecosystem developed will enable the flow of knowledge, technologies, and expertise between these organisations, stimulate Regional Development Innovation (RDI), business scaling and internationalisation.
We are now recruiting for a Chief Executive Officer, reporting to the Board, to fulfil the primary leadership role in the GTC Group (Academy West and Galway Technology Centre) and the full implementation and expansion as outlined in the Academy West/GTC REDF Application.
The role: Company CEO and Director of Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation
Reporting directly to the Board of Galway Technology Centre (GTC), this is a three year fixed term contract and offers a unique opportunity to create a new innovation ecosystem
in the West of Ireland and reaching into global tech audience. The successful candidate will be a dynamic individual, with significant leadership experience across the key activity domains incorporating strategy, finance, operations, proposition development, business development, and product/service innovation.
The Global Director/CEO will have the skills and experience to drive the development of an innovative and strategic suite of client services while also servicing as a thought leader within the innovation enterprise eco system.
Responsibilities of role:
GTC/Academy West Hub Strategy & Operations
- Ultimate executive decision-making responsibility for Academy West/GTC, across all key functions – Marketing, Finance, HR/People management, Client relationships, Business Development, IT Systems, Facilities, and the new building project.
- Reporting directly to the Board, seeking Board approval as required, and implementing Board decisions.
- Strategy implementation and review of KPI’s.
- Manage through effective planning, monitoring and control all financial matters for Academy West/GTC including generating new revenue streams.
- customised Innovation & Entrepreneurship programme design and development reflecting the type of specific interventions required in the west tech cluster including Masterclasses & intensive Mentorship; (Host a monthly “Mentoring for Scale” invite-only event where tech companies in the early stages of scaling get the opportunity for one-on-one with experienced, serial entrepreneurs.)
- Access to finance supports for scaling clients including VC / Equity Finance / HBAN
- Generalist with commercial acumen – you understand the constraint of the business world, and you are able and willing to work on a variety of tasks at once.
- Communication & marketing skills – have great interpersonal and communication skills.
- Technology – ability to use modern technology platforms, and learn quickly (Trello, Slack, Google docs & Slides etc)
Business Development & Sustainability
- Spearhead a “Centre of Excellence” desk @ Academy West to help unlock EU funding for Stat-up/scaling IT Companies – Information awareness, Training & Special events, Help Desk support & Network building (with various EU contact points and agencies).
- Facilitate SMEs to access Public Procurement competitions and gearing up for large contracts.
- Relationships and partnership development (including MOU’s) across the digital enterprise ecosystem (3rd Level, Public & Private Institutions at Local, Regional, National & EU level).
- Export market and sector analysis and knowledge transfer seminars.
- Identification of external best practice models and delivery partners for accelerated growth.
- International trade expos and networks and other overseas partners including Diaspora connections to the west region.
- Design and implement GTC Group membership policies, guidelines, and best practices to optimise and manage community and member engagement and experience.
- Deliver market-led, revenue focused strategy delivering engagement propositions that result in financial stability.
- Leverage funding opportunities to secure funding from national and international sources.
- Provide leadership and catalysis for GTC/Academy West collaboration and cross pollination via introductions and links to relevant individuals, groups, expertise and services across the ecosystem.
- Champion GTC Group at various events, meetings, forums and panels.
- Actively lead on the development and roll out across the Region of GTC/Academy West client services and experiences
- Develop and manage relationships with external stakeholders nationally and internationally including: –
- Enterprise support and development agencies
- Innovation hub, Network and Ecosystems
- Competency, research, and innovation centres
- Higher Education Organisations
- Industry & Enterprise: Companies, networks, and associations
- Community, non-for-profit, and public sector
- Reporting to the Board, seeking Board approval as required, and implementing Board decisions.
- Lead and develop the team to deliver their performance objectives (KPI’s, Sales targets, and business objectives) through coaching and feedback.
- Overall people management responsibility for a small team of 6 /7 staff, comprised of the existing team and three new roles that will be required as part of the Academy West expansion project.
- Cultivate high performance teams & recommend best practices in all key areas (sales, expenditures, events, training, members experiences etc).
The ideal candidate must have a relevant Third level qualification (Business degree or equivalent), and a post-graduate qualification in Enterprise or related topics would be a distinct advantage.
Previous Work Experience and Role Competencies
We are seeking someone with a real passion who has strong business/financial/technology acumen, commercial leadership, industry knowledge, excellent communicator, and ability to contribute and inspire at a high level. S/he will have worked in leadership and demonstrated experience in creating, fostering, and implementing innovative ideas/process/products/services across globally connected innovation eco-systems,
At least 5 years’ experience in delivering enterprise development and acceleration solutions/services.
- Have an entrepreneurial, experimental, and innovation-focused mindset and approach to identifying and seizing new opportunities.
- Skilled at building and maintaining diverse professional relationships.
- Strong influencing skills when working with internal and external partners at all levels of an organisation.
- Demonstrate ability to navigate a matrix environment.
- Experience delivering and being accountable for projects and revenue goals.
- Demonstrated ability to lead small and large teams of direct and indirect reports.
- Familiarity with innovation concepts and methodologies such as design and systems thinking.
- Knowledge on Programmes of Education, Research, and Innovation
- A flair for making connections and simplifying the complex.
- Ability to prioritise multiple demands and adapt with changing circumstances.
- Passion for digitisation and emerging technologies such as artificial intelligence, blockchain, the internet of Things etc
Experience required in meeting metrics and reporting at Board level on how these were achieved by the enterprise – metrics such as increased client numbers, successful networking and education events, international partnerships established, grant / financing aid sourced.
Experience in ‘tapping into’ the West of Ireland diaspora business network a distinct advantage.
S/He will have a minimum of 5 years people management experience to manage, motivate and develop our strong team of professionals.
- Excellent marketing / business development skills.
- Strong people management skills, with an understanding of basic employment law / human resources policies and procedures.
- Excellent inter-personal skills, communication, presentation, reporting and organisational skills.
- Ability to interpret financial accounts and reporting to Board on same.
- 3 Year fixed Term contract
- Salary and benefits: €80K gross plus travel subsistence and expenses
This role is supported by Enterprise Ireland under the Regional Enterprise Development Fund (REDF).
Applications please, in strict confidence, by the 29th October 2021 to:
John Madden FCIPD,
Academy West Recruitment,
Galway Technology Centre,
Mervue Business Park,
E-mail: [email protected] Tel.: +353872561442 www.gtc.ie
GALWAY TECHNOLOGY COMPANY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER