This past Tuesday we were delighted to welcome a delegation from Mentor, OH, who shared their insight into the considerations your business should take when scaling into the US. Laura Myles of Flynn O Driscoll one of our member companies here in GTC and Dr Robert Rosenberg, Entrepreneur-in-Residence – GCID were also on the panel of speakers at Tuesdays event.
The speakers all offered some great points which we hope have helped you and your business as you decide whether scaling to the US is the right option.
Ken Filipiak, City Manager and Kevin Malecek, Director of Economic Development & International Trade – City of Mentor:
- City of Mentor to offer concierge service to any Irish companies looking to establish in the US.
- Mentor OH, has a strong manufacturing, aerospace and medtech sector.
- There is over 400 companies involved in medtech located in close proximity to Mentor.
- Close partnerships with third level institutions and hospitals provide further advantages for medical device development.
Laura Myles, Head of Technology and IP – Flynn O’ Driscoll LLP:
- Market Research and competitor analysis.
- Understanding the regulatory and compliance mechanisms.
- Understanding the cultural difference as well as ensuring the budget and timing of any expansion are within the scope of an overall business plan.
Robert Rosenberg, Entrepreneur-in-Residence- GCID:
- If you can get your business over the hurdles of setting up in the US – there is ample funding opportunities.
- Large scale VC funds in the US are set up to invest in the early stage businesses and there is evidence of competition for best deals.
- It’s important to do your research and select a location that suits your business as the US offers many varied markets for entry.
If you missed Tuesday’s event, we have added the webinar below for you to watch in your own time.
Should you wish to get in touch with any of the speakers at the event you can do so through email or on their website.
- Kevin Malecek – [email protected]
- Kenneth Filipiak – [email protected]
- Laura Myles – www.fod.ie
- Robert Rosenberg – [email protected]